It’s hard to believe that January is almost over!
I’ve made 4 loaves already this year and have been experimenting with increasing my hydration – I’m up to 75% now! I’m really surprised at the difference the 5% hydration gives – the new loaves are moist and tender, almost squishy(but in a good way!). I’m also trying new things with my leftover starter. To this end, I’ve made some pretty decent sourdough croissants. Croissants always seemed like an unattainable baking goal, so I was really happy to achieve good lamination and a great taste on these. The proofing time needs some work as I didn’t use any extra yeast and had to adapt the recipe to suit (I used Flour’s recipe for this).
With these gains in mind, my 2016 baking goals are to:
- Explore new and local flours for my sourdough bread baking
- Explore new baking methods (I currently use an enameled dutch oven, which works great but restricts me to boules)
- Add-ins! A few years ago, I lived a few miles away from King Arthur Flour’s VT bakery, and loved getting their Sonnenblumenbrot. I want to try adding things to my loaves, starting with Sonnenblumenbrot and Raisin Walnut sourdough.
- Develop a croissant process that delivers consistent results with my starter/available equipment
- Develop a waffle process that delivers consistent results with my starter/available equipment
Have you made any baking goals for 2016?